1. PM launched “Main Nahin Hum” Portal and App
The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi, interacted with IT and electronic manufacturing professionals across India on October 24, 2018, on the occasion of the launch of the “Main Nahin Hum” Portal and App.
- In doing so, the portal is expected to help catalyze greater collaboration towards the service of the weaker sections of society, especially by leveraging the benefits of technology.
- The portal, which works on the theme “Self4Society”, will enable IT professionals and organizations to bring together their efforts towards social causes, and service to society, on one platform.
2. Six-member panel set up to resolve stressed assets
The overseeing committee (OC) that is being set up under the inter-creditor agreement (ICA) for resolution of stressed assets will have six members.
- The OC, which is being formed under the aegis of the Indian Banks’ Association (IBA), will approve resolution plans for stressed assets submitted by lead lenders.
- These members include Janki Ballabh (former Chairman, State Bank of India), MBN Rao (former Chairman & Managing Director, Canara Bank ), M Damodaran (former Chairman, SEBI) and HR Khan (former Deputy Governor, RBI).
3. 38 MoUs signed at Bhubaneswar Steel Conclave
Capital Goods(CG) producers from across the globe inked 38 MoUs with Indian steel companies which will reduce imports for the steel sector worth Rs 39,400 crore.
- The National Steel Policy – 2017 envisages the creation of 300 million tonnes (MT) of steel capacity in the country by 2030-31 as against existing 130 MT.
- The MoUs were signed at a Conclave in Bhubaneswar which was organized by Ministry of Steel, Government of India, in association with Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) and MECON.
4. M Nageshwar Rao appointed interim CBI director
M Nageshwar Rao was appointed as interim Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) director with immediate effect.
- Director Alok Verma and Special Director Rakesh Asthana were sent on leave.
- Asthana, a 1984 batch Indian Police Service officer of Gujarat cadre, is accused of accepting a bribe of Rs 2 crore from a Hyderabad-based businessman Sathish Babu Sana.
- The development has come at a time when there is an internal war going on within the agency.
5. Invest India won UN Investment Promotion Award
Invest India has received the top UN Investment Promotion Award in recognition of its efforts to boost investments in the renewable energy sector in India.
- The award was presented by Armenian President Armen Sarkissian to Deepak Bagla, the CEO of Invest India, in Geneva at the inaugurations of the World Investment Forum organized by the UN Convention on Trade and Development (UNCTAD).
- The ‘Invest India’ initiative of the Union Government on October 22, 2018, won the top United Nations Investment Promotion Award in recognition of its efforts to boost investments in the renewable energy sector in India.
6. Prime Minister dedicated National Police Memorial to the Nation
The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi, dedicated the National Police Memorial to the nation, on Police Commemoration Day.
- The award would be announced every year, recognizing the bravery and courage displayed in saving the lives of people, in the wake of a disaster.
- The Prime Minister announced an award in the name of Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose, to honor those involved in disaster response operations.
7. Four Himalayan peaks named after former PM Atal Bihari Vajpayee
Four Himalayan peaks near Gangotri glacier have been named after former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
- Located near Sudarshan and Saifi peaks in Raktvan valley, the peaks have been named Atal-1, 2, 3 and 4.
- The peaks are located at 6,557m, 6,566m, 6,160m and 6,100m on the right flank of Gangotri glacier.
8. Govt appointed the chief of child rights body
National Commission for Protection of Child Rights has got a new chief with the appointments committee of the cabinet appointing Priyank Kanoongo to the post for a period of three years.
- The post of chairperson fell vacant last month after Stuti Kacker’s tenure ended on September 16.
- Kanoongo has been the member of the commission from November 2015 and his tenure as member ends next week.
- Kanoongo will be the fifth NCPCR chief since the commission was formed.
9. Ustad Chand Khan Lifetime Achievement Award for Pandit Vishwa Mohan Bhatt
Grammy-winning Hindustani classical music instrumentalist Pandit Vishwa Mohan Bhatt will be honored with the annual Ustad Chand Khan Lifetime Achievement Award.
- Best known for his Grammy award winning album “A Meeting by the River” with Ry Cooder, Bhatt, born in Jaipur, plays the Mohan Veena (slide guitar).
- “The voice has the power to transform life from within, to strengthen and purify it,” Iqbal Ahmed Khan, General Secretary of Sursagar Society of Dilli Gharana, said.
10. India Became Second Largest Solar Market: MERCOM
India installed 4.9 GW of solar power, consolidating its position as the second largest solar market in the world, during the first half of the calendar year 2018 according to a report by Mercom Communications India.
- Adani remained the largest project developer in terms of total cumulative installations and top installer in terms of capacity installed through the end of the first half.
- According to the report, China topped the list.
11. IDFC Bank To Be Renamed as IDFC First Bank
IDFC Bank proposed to change its name to ‘IDFC First Bank Ltd’ in the wake of its amalgamation with the non-banking financial company Capital First.
- The decision was taken during the meeting of the Board of Directors of IDFC Bank.
- It would further require the approvals of statutory or regulatory authorities including the Registrar of Companies, Shareholders and other Stakeholders.
12. Ethiopia Appointed Sahle-Work Zewde As 1st Female President
She would replace Mulatu Teshome Wirtu.
- Prior to her appointment, she was serving as the UN’s top official at the African Union.
- “In a historic move, the two Houses has elected Ambassador Shalework Zewde as the next President of #Ethiopia. She is the first female head of state in modern Ethiopia,” Fitsum Arega, Abiy’s chief of staff, said on Twitter.
13. Pooja Dhanda Won Bronze Medal In World Wrestling Championships
Pooja Dhanda became the first woman wrestler to win a medal at the World Championship as she won a bronze medal with a remarkable 10-7 win over the 2017 European champion Grace Jacob Bullen in Budapest on Thursday.
- She is only the fourth Indian woman to win a World Championship medal and this is her second big medal this season, having won a silver medal at the Commonwealth Games in Gold Coast.
- She delivered one of the best performances of her career in the bronze-medal match against Grace as she executed a four-point throw in each of the two periods in the 57kg contest.