1. RBI announced branches of Vijaya, Dena Bank to function as BoB outlets
Reserve Bank of India said that the branches of Vijaya Bank and Dena Bank will function as Bank of Baroda (BoB) outlets from April 1.
- This is after the amalgamation of the two lenders with Bank of Baroda (BoB). The merger will be effective from April 1, 2019.
- Customers, including depositors of Vijaya Bank and Dena Bank, will be treated as customers of BoB with effect from 1st April.
2. Bank of Baroda became 2nd largest PSU, 3rd largest bank in India
Bank of Baroda (BoB) became the second largest public sector undertaking (PSU) bank after merging Dena Bank and Vijaya Bank into itself as part of the first three-way amalgamation.
- Bob is now the third-largest bank after State Bank of India (SBI) and HDFC Bank.
- Following the merger, the number of PSBs has come down to 18.
- The consolidated bank will have over 9,500 branches, 13,400 ATMs, 85,000 employees to serve 12 crore customers.
- The bank will have a business mix of Rs 15 lakh crore of the balance sheet, with deposits and advances of Rs 8.75 lakh crore and Rs 6.25 lakh crore, respectively.
- Post-amalgamation, the bank will have a 22 percent market share in Gujarat and 8-10 percent market share in Maharashtra, Karnataka, Rajasthan, and Uttar Pradesh.
3. Lakshmi Vilas Bank approved a merger with Indiabulls Housing
The board of Lakshmi Vilas Bank approved a share swap acquisition by housing finance firm Indiabulls Housing Finance.
- The merged entity, Indiabulls Lakshmi Vilas Bank, will be among the top eight private banks by size and profitability.
- The merger will need the approval of the Reserve Bank of India and other regulators.
- As per the share swap ratio for the merger, for every 100 shares of Lakshmi Vilas Bank shareholders will get 14 shares of Indiabulls Housing Finance.
About Lakshmi Vilas Bank:
- Headquarters: Chennai
- CEO: Parthasarathi Mukherjee
- Founded: 1926
4. HDFC AMC Ranks 1st In Terms Of Assets: AMFI Report
India’s asset management companies (AMCs) own assets under management (AUM) worth Rs24.46 trillion according to data released by the Association of Mutual Funds in India (Amfi).
HDFC Asset Management Co. Ltd claimed the top spot with an average AUM of Rs3.42 trillion, overtaking ICICI Prudential Asset Management Co. Ltd with an average AUM of at Rs3.20 trillion.
About HDFC Bank
- CEO: Aditya Puri (Sep 1994–)
- Headquarters: Mumbai
- Founded: August 1994, India
- Revenue: 95,461 crores INR (2018, US$13 billion)
- Subsidiaries: HDFC securities, HDB Financial Services.
5. HDFC Bank tops Forbes’ list of best Indian banks 2019
Forbes has compiled a first-ever list of the World’s Best Bank 2019 in terms of customer services and technological advancements.
The private lender, HDFC Bank, was ranked at the top of the ‘Forbes Best Indian Banks 2019’ list. HDFC Bank claims to provide the best of its technological features to its 43 million customers.
- Another private lender ICICI Bank took the second spot, while DBS was at the third rank in Forbes list of Indian banks.
- Kotak Mahindra Bank and IDFC Bank had managed to gain the fourth and fifth spot respectively.
- Syndicate Bank, PNB, Allahabad Bank, Vijaya Bank, and Axis Bank were ranked from sixth to tenth respectively.
- Forbes had partnered with Statista, a market research company, to measure the best banks in 23 countries.
- The survey compiled data from around 40,000 customers around the world for their opinions on their banking relationships.
- The banks were rated on the basis of 5 key attributes – trust, digital services, financial advice, and fees.
6. Rajesh Yaduvanshi is appointed as Executive Director of Punjab National Bank
Punjab National Bank (PNB)appointed Rajesh Kumar Yaduvanshi as the Executive Director of the bank.
- Rajesh Kumar Yaduvanshi joined PNB as a management trainee in 1985. He is equipped with an experience of 34 years in the banking career and is a certified associate member of Indian Institute of Bankers.
- In the past, he had worked with Dena Bank in the capacity of the Executive Director. He holds a doctorate in science from Indian Agricultural Research Institute, (IARI) New Delhi.
About Punjab National Bank
- Industry: Banking, Financial services
- Founded:19 May 1894; 124 years ago
- Founder: Dyal Singh Majithia, Lala Lajpat Rai
- Headquarters: New Delhi
7. Canara Bank became the first PSB to meet RBIs EMV Mandate
ACI Worldwide, a global provider of real-time electronic payment and banking solutions, announced that Canara Bank has successfully rolled out major new functionality to support EMV card acquiring across its ATM network and Aadhaar Authentication, leveraging ACI’s UP Retail Payments solution to achieve market firsts.
Canara Bank, with nearly 6,300 branches and a network of more than 10,000 ATMs, is the first public sector bank to shift to EMV chip and PIN for card present transactions across the country’s vast ATM network.
What is EMV Chip?
EMV stands for Europay, MasterCard, Visa, the three Organisations that developed and established EMV as the global standard for chip-based credit and debit transactions. The EMV standard helps to maximise security and global interoperability so that Visa cards can continue to be accepted around the world.
8. Bandhan Bank Gets CCI Nod For Merger With Gruh Finance
Bandhan Bank received approval from the Competition Commission of India (CCI) for the proposed scheme of amalgamation of Gruh Finance with the bank.
- The approval has been made under sub-section (1) of Section 31 of the Competition Act, 2002.
- Bandhan Bank in January 2019, announced the merger of Gruh Finance with it.
About Bandhan Bank
- Type: Private Sector Bank
- Traded as BSE: 950041
- Industry: Banking
- Founded: 23 August 2015; 3 years ago
- Founders: Chandra Shekhar Ghosh
- Headquarters: Kolkata, West Bengal, India.
9. Deutsche Bank appoints Kaushik Shaparia as CEO For India
Deutsche Bank appointed Kaushik Shaparia as the chief executive officer for India
- He succeeds Ravneet Gill.
- Gill left the bank to head private lender YES Bank.
- Shaparia’s appointment will be effective from May 2019.
About Deutsche Bank
- Total assets: €1.348 trillion (2018)
- Headquarters: Fr
- Number of employees: 91,700 (2018)
- Operating income: €1.330 billion
10. Kotak Mahindra Bank became the first Destination Bank to launch debit card based e-mandates On NPCIs E-Mandate API Platform
Kotak Mahindra Bank is the first debit card based authentication solution on NPCI’s (National Payments Corporation of India) e-Mandate (electronic mandate) API (Application Program Interface) platform first ever Destination Bank to go live with both Net Banking and Debit Card-based e-mandate authentication.
- The main objective of this initiative is to enable Kotak customers to create electronic mandates (similar to the former eNACH with Aadhaar + OTP) (eNACH- Electronic National Automated Clearing House; OTP- One Time Password) via both debit card and net banking provision.
- As API based e-mandates are customer-friendly, fast, frictionless and paperless, the initiative would help in making its customers’ lives hassle-free for handling recurring payments.
1. ISRO opens its 1st visitors’ gallery to watch rocket launches
In a first, The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) opened a visitors’ gallery with 5,000 capacity at Andhra Pradesh’s Sriharikota island.
- The gallery has a clear line of sight to two launch pads and large screens to explain launcher and satellite features.
- This comes as ISRO is launching defense satellite EMISAT along with 28 foreign satellites on April 1, 2019.
2. Batman will become the first Inductee of Comic-Con Museums Character Hall of Fame
Batman becomes the first Inductee of Comic-On Museum’s Character Hall of Fame in a ceremony at 50th Annual Comic-Con International in San Diego, the USA on 17th July 2019.
- Batman is a fictional character of DC Comics.
- Batman first appeared in Detective Comics #27 in 1939.
3. Assam to launch Sankalp mobile app for first-time voters
In Assam, the Bongaigaon district administration has developed a mobile app Sankalp to particularly reach out to the first-time voters.
- Bongaigaon Deputy Commissioner Adil Khan said that a special initiative has been taken to encourage the first-time voters.
- Mr. Khan said that the NIC team has developed the app and it will be launched soon.
- The messages will be sent to the first-time voters on their mobile phones, requesting them to download the ‘Sankalp’ app.
- The Deputy Commissioner the voters will have to input a few details, like name and age, and the app will track their polling station and other details.
4. Google India head Rajan Anandan resigns after 8 years
Rajan Anandan, vice president for Google India and South East Asia, is leaving the company after an eight-year stint and will be joining Silicon Valley’s marquee venture fund Sequoia Capital.
- He will stay until the end of this month.
- Rajan Anandan had joined Google in 2011.
- His responsibility will be taken over by Country Director Sales Vikas Agnihotri in the interim.
5. Shanghai Hongkou became worlds first district with 5G coverage
Shanghai claimed to have the world’s first district with 5Gcoverage and a broadband gigabit network. It conducted trial runs of the 5G network, backed by telecom services provider China Mobile.
- The city aims to build over 10,000 5G base stations by the end of this year and the number of 5G base stations could cross 30,000 in 2021.
- 5G is the next generation of cellular technology with download speeds that are 10 to 100 times faster than 4G LTE networks.
6. Dr. Rajendra Joshi Conferred With Pravasi Bharatiya Samman
NRI scientist Dr. Rajendra Joshiconferred with the Pravasi Bhartiya Samman Award by the President of India Ram Nath Kovind.
The Indian Ambassador to Switzerland Sibi George handed over the award citation signed by the President to Dr. Joshi at his residence in Switzerland.
- Largest city: Zürich
- Official languages: German, French, Italian, Romansh
- Currency: Swiss franc (CHF)
7. ECI appointed Viswajeet as Intelligence Chief for AP
The Election Commission of India appointed Additional Director-General of Police Kumar Viswajeetas Intelligence Chief for Andhra Pradesh. A 1994 batch IPS officer, Mr. Viswajeet, is presently Chairman of the Andhra Pradesh State Level Police Recruitment Board (APSLPRB). He will take charge immediately.
- The top post fell vacant with the Election Commission transferring former Intelligence DG, A.B. Venkateswara Rao.
- The Intelligence wing plays a key role in guiding the police and the election authorities on the mobilization of forces in critical and cut-off villages.
Election Commission of India (ECI):
- ECI is responsible for administering election processes in India
- Formed: 25 January 1950
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- Chief Election Commissioner: Sunil Arora
National Defence Academy, Rear Admiral Mahesh Singh takes charge as the Flag Officer Commanding Karnataka Naval Area.
- Mahesh Singh is a post graduate from Defence Services Staff College and he headed Navigation and Direction School at Kochi and the Maritime Warfare Centre at Vishakhapatnam.
- He was a commissioned into the Indian Navy in January 1987.
9. Zuzana Caputova became Slovakia’s first female president
Liberal lawyer Zuzana Čaputová won Slovakia’s Presidential election, becoming the country’s first female head of state.
- A member of the Progressive Slovakia party, Čaputová won 58.3% votes after results from 98.1% of the voting districts were counted.
- Čaputová defeated European Commission Vice President, Maroš Šefčovič, who was backed by the ruling party, SMER-SD.
- She is due to be sworn in on 15 of June.
- Captova will now become Slovakia’s fifth president since its independence in the 1993 split of Czechoslovakia.
- Slovakia became the eighth country in the European Union to currently have a woman in power.
- Capital: Bratislava
- Currency: Euro
- Official language: Slovak
10. Former Bollywood Actress, Mayoori kango appointed as the Industry Head of Google India
She will lead Google engagement with Publicis (Parent Company of Performics) and DAN.
- Before joining Google India, Mayoori has worked as a Managing Director in Performics which is part of Publicis Groupe.
- She has been instrumental in engaging and retaining accounts of firms like Uber, Airtel, and Nestle.
11. Chicago elected Lori a black woman as its Mayor
Chicago elected Ms.Lori Lightfoot, 56, a black woman as itsMayor. The voters have put their faith in an openly-gay political novice to tackle difficult problems of economic inequality and gun violence.
- Since 1837, Chicago voters have elected only one black Mayor and one woman Mayor. Ms. Lightfoot will become Chicago’s first openly gay Mayor as well as the first African-American woman to hold the post.
- Lori Lightfoot a former federal prosecutor and practicing lawyer beat out Toni Preckwinkle, a career politician who is also black, by a wide margin of 74% to 26% with most ballots counted. She has promised to clean up city government and reduce economic inequality.
12. Eicher Motors Ltd. Vinod K. Dasari as the CEO of Royal Enfield
Eicher Motors Ltd. has appointed Vinod K. Dasari as the Chief Executive Officer of Royal Enfield. He will also join the board of Eicher Motors as executive director with immediate effect. He stepped down as MD and CEO of Ashok Leyland on March 31.
- He takes over from Siddhartha Lal, who will continue as the MD of Eicher Motors.
- The company also plans to invest Rs.700 crore in capital expenditure for 2019-20. The planned expenditure will include completion of construction work of the Technology Centre, Phase-2 of the Vallam Vadagal plant in Tamil Nadu and towards the development of new platforms and products.
13. Vikram Kirloskar appointed as CIIs president
Vikram Kirloskar, CMD of Kirloskar Systems Ltd., and vice-chairman of Toyota Kirloskar Motor have assumed office as President of the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) for 2019-20.
- He takes over from Rakesh Bharti Mittal, vice-chairman, Bharti Enterprises.
- Uday Kotak, founder and MD & CEO of Kotak Mahindra Bank, is the president-designate of CII for 2019-20. T.V. Narendran, CEO & MD of Tata Steel Limited, takes over as CII vice-president for 2019-20.
14. Nasscom appoints Keshav Murugesh as CEO
IT industry body Nasscom has appointed WNS Global Services Group CEO Keshav Murugesh as its chairman for 2019-20.
- He takes over from his previous role as vice-chairman of Nasscom. He succeeds Rishad Premji (Wipro chief strategy officer and board member).
- Nasscom has appointed Infosys COO U.B. Pravin Rao as its vice-chairman for 2019-20.
15. Amal Clooney appointed as the U.K.s special envoy on media freedom
Amal Clooney has been appointed as the U.K.’s special envoy on media freedom. The appointment comes as the U.K. prepares to host an international conference this July in the wake of attacks on journalists across the world.
- Ms.Clooney will chair a panel of legal experts who will work to support countries to repeal outdated and draconian laws and strengthen legal mechanisms to protect journalists. Among the steps that could be taken by the panel include making proposals to countries around national laws that don’t comply with international standards, particularly around issues such as blasphemy and stringent anti-defamation rules.
- The panel will also prepare mechanisms that could be used internationally to raise the cost of non-compliance with international standards, such as advising on a sanctions regime that could be put in place relating to regimes that abused journalists.
16. American David Malpass selected as the new President of the World Bank
David Malpass is currently US Treasury Department Under Secretary for International Affairs.
- He was a senior economic adviser to US President Donald Trump during his 2016 election campaign.
- The 63-year-old, nominated by Trump, was the only candidate for the job.
- Malpass succeeds Jim Yong-Kim, who stepped down on February 1 to join an investment firm.
- Kristalina Georgieva, chief executive officer of the bank, has been acting as the interim President.
17. Chennai Central renamed as Puratchi Thalaivar Dr. M G Ramachandran Chennai Central after Dr. MG Ramachandran
Chennai Central railway station renamed by the Tamil Nadu State Government as Puratchi Thalaivar Dr. MG Ramachandran Central Railway Station after late Chief Minister Dr. MG Ramachandran.
Neeraj Sharma, Railway Executive Board Director notified that the change of name would be possible provided there should not be an inaugural event as a result of the election code of conduct.
About Dr. MG Ramachandran
- Dr. Marudur Gopalan Ramachandran (17 Jan 1917-24 Dec 1987) as MG Ramachandran or ‘Makkal Thilagam’ (since he was a popular figure) was a veteran filmmaker, actor, and politician.
- He served for 10 years as the Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu (1977-1987).
- MG Ramachandran’s autobiography was posthumously published in 2003 (in two volumes) under the title ‘Naan Yaen Piranthaen (Why I was Born)’.
- His policies focused on economic growth and social welfare. He brought in many educational reforms, banned liquor, upgraded the mid-day meal scheme and worked for the preservation for the state’s cultural heritage.
- For his immense contribution to public service, M G Ramachandran was posthumously honoured with Bharat Ratna, the highest civilian award, by the Government of India in 1988.
18. Praful Patel became 1st Indian to be elected as a member of FIFA Executive Council
Praful Patel is the current president of All India Football Federation (AIFF). He got 38 out of 46 votes. His membership in the council will be for four years, from 2019 to 2023.
- Patel was accompanied by AIFF general secretary Kushal Das and senior vice-president Subrata Datta.
- FIFA Council member election was held during the 29th Asian Football Confederations (AFC) Congress in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
About FIFA Council:
- FIFA – Fédération Internationale de Football Association
- It is the governing body of association football.
- Headquarters: Zurich, Switzerland
- President: Gianni Infantino
- Senior Vice President: Salman Bin Ibrahim Al-Khalifa
19. SUN Group chairman Vikramjit Sahney elected as president of ICC India
SUN Group Chairman Vikramjit Singh Sahney elected as the new president of International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) – India. He will succeed in Jawahar Vadivelu.
- The International Chamber of Commerce is the largest, most representative business organization in the world. Its 6 million members in over 100 countries have interests spanning every sector of private enterprise.
- ICC has three main activities: rule setting, dispute resolution, and policy advocacy.
- Founded: 1919
- Headquarters: Paris, France
- Motto: We make the business work for everyone, every day, everywhere.
20. Algeria MPs elect Abdelkader Bensalah as the first new president in 20 years
Abdelkader Bensalah was appointed a president for a three-month transitional period after weeks of mass protests led to the resignation of long-serving former President Abdelaziz Bouteflika on April 2.
- Algeria’s newly appointed interim President Abdelkader Bensalah announced the election would be held on July 4 to vote for a new president.
- However, the 77-year-old Bensalah is barred under the constitution from running in the upcoming election.
- Capital: Algiers
- Currency: Algerian dinar
- Continent: Africa
- Prime Minister: Noureddine Bedouin
21. Benjamin Netanyahu elected for 5th term as Israel’s Prime Minister
Netanyahu defeated centrist ex-military chief Benny Gantz, whose nascent Blue and White party emerged as a viable alternative to Netanyahu’s decade in power.
With over 97% votes counted, Netanyahu’s Likud party tied with the Blue and White party, winning 35 seats each in the 120-member Knesset.
- Netanyahu’s victory came amid allegations of corruption against him and his wife.
- His campaign has focused heavily on his friendship with President Donald Trump and his success in cultivating new allies, such as China, India, and Brazil.
22. Jean Michel Lapin elected as Haiti’s new prime minister
Haiti’s President Jovenel Moise announced that Jean Michel Lapin, who once served as a courier in the public administration, to be the new prime minister of the French-speaking Caribbean Community (CARICOM) country. He succeeds Prime Minister Jean-Henry Ceant.
- The former culture and communications minister, Lapin was named acting prime minister on March 21.
- Lapin is the third head of government under President Moise, since he came to office in February 2017.
- The formation of a new government in Haiti is an International Monetary Fund (IMF) pre-requisite for the disbursement of the first tranche of a US$229 million loan to Haiti.
- In 2018, Haiti, the poorest country in the Americas, had a record US$290 million deficit, while its national budget was estimated at US$1.8 billion.
- Capital: Port-au-Prince
- Currency: Haitian gourde
- Continent: North America
23. Gargi Kaul appointed as Secretary of Defence Finance
The Central government appointed Gargi Kaul as Secretary, Defence Finance. She is a 1984-batch officer of the Indian Audit and Accounts Service (IA&AS).
About Defence Ministry
- Formed: 1776 (as Military Department), 1947(as Ministry of Defence)
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- Minister: Nirmala Sitharaman
- Deputy Minister: Dr.Subhash Ramrao Bhamre
- It is responsible for coordinating and supervising all agencies and functions of the government relating directly to national security and the Indian armed forces
24. Ajay Kumar Dixit appointed as CEO of Cairn Oil
Cairn Oil & Gas, a division of Vedanta Ltd, has announced the appointment of Ajay Kumar Dixitas it’s Chief Executive Officer. Dixit succeeds Sudhir Mathur, who after seven successful years with the company, moves on to pursue personal endeavors.
- Dixit had joined Vedanta in 2015 from Siemens where he was CEO-Energy for South Asia. He is an alumni of Delhi College of Engineering and had served as the acting CEO of Vedanta’s Aluminium and Power business before being elevated to this new role.
- The company expects that his leadership will support Cairn’s vision to realize the full potential of Barmer block, grow the offshore business and appraisal of new blocks under OALP I and discovered small fields (DSF-II).
25. redBus appoints Mahendra Singh Dhoni as brand ambassador
Bus ticketing platform redBus has appointed cricketer Mahendra Singh Dhoni as its brand ambassador.
- The cricketer will appear in a hockey player avatar in his first cameo for the brand, slated to be launched soon.
- Dhoni’s brand endorsement deals can be in the range of ₹ 3-10 crore.
- At present, Dhoni is the brand ambassador of sports firm Dream11, Colgate, MasterCard, Orient Fans, BharatMatrimony, Indigo Paints, SRMB Steel, and health supplement brand Revital H.
- Recently, Fantasy sports platform HalaPlay Technologies has appointed cricketers Krunal and Hardik Pandya as its brand ambassadors.
26. ECI appointed Bihar Ex CEO AjayV Nayak as Special Observer for West Bengal
Election Commission of India (ECI) appointed Bihar’s former Chief Electoral Officer (CEO) Ajay V. Nayak as a special observer for West Bengal.
- He is a retired IAS officer of the 1984-batch has been appointed as a special observer for West Bengal by ECI.
- The Commission has earlier appointed Vivek Dube as the special police observer for the state.
About Election Commission of India
- Formed: 25 January 1950
- Objectives: Constitutional Autonomous Body conducts the elections to the offices of the President and Vice-President of India, Parliament, State
- Legislative Assemblies and Legislative councils
- Jurisdiction: Government of India
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- First executive: Sukumar Sen
- Preceding executive: Om Prakash Rawat
27. Amazon to shut down online operations in China
Amazon plans to close down online retail operations in China, admitting defeat to local e-commerce rivals such as Alibaba and JD.com.
- They will continue other operations in China such as Amazon Web Services (AWS).
- Kindle e-books and teams that help ship goods from Chinese merchants to customers abroad.
- Amazon entered China in 2004, when it acquired a local online bookseller for USD 75 million.
- They launched its Prime membership programme in China in 2016 with the aim to lure customers with high-quality Western goods and perks like free international deliveries.
28. Ravinder Kumar Passi appointed as a new Chairman of Export Promotion Council for Handicraft (EPCH)
Export Promotion Council for Handicraft (EPCH) board appointed Ravinder Kumar Passi (previously a vice chairman of EPCH), to the post of Chairman of EPCH.
- He will take charge for the post of Chairman shortly from his predecessor O P Prahladka.
- Ravinder Kumar Passi served EPCH in various important position including the post of chairman during 2001-2002.
About Export Promotion Council for Handicraft (EPCH)
EPCH is a non-profit organisation, established under Companies Act of 1956 in the year 1986-97.
29. Twitter appointed Manish Maheshwari as new India MD
Manish Maheshwari, who previously served as the CEO of Network18 Digital, takes over the new role from April 29.
- Prior to Network18, Maheshwari has worked with Flipkart, txtWeb, Intuit, McKinsey and P&G.
Manish will be responsible for driving an integrated business strategy to accelerate Twitter’s audience and revenue growth in the country, overseeing Twitter India’s teams in Delhi, Mumbai and Bengaluru.
He will be based in Delhi.
- Manish will report to Maya Hari, Twitter’s vice president and managing director of Asia Pacific.
The appointment comes amid growing concerns over the spread of misinformation on social media platforms across the world, including India.
India is among one of the biggest markets for internet companies like Facebook, Google and Twitter, given the large base of young population.
- Twitter, which has over 30 million users in India (according to statista.com), had appointed Krish as an interim country head.
30. Karnam Sekar appointed as Indian Overseas Banks new MD & CEO
Karnam Sekar, Dena Bank’s former Managing Director appointed as the new Managing Director (MD) and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Indian Overseas Bank. He would take up the position from July 1, 2019.
- He has been working as an officer on special duty and Whole Time Director in IOB (Indian Overseas Bank) from April 1 till the time of taking over charge from R Subramaniakumar who was the erstwhile CEO and MD.
- R Subramaniakumar had initiated measures to uplift IOB from loses due to high Non-Performing Assets.
31. Dalbir Singh appointed as Indias High Commissioner to Seychelles
Former Indian Army Chief General (Retired) Dalbir Singh Suhag was appointed as India’s High Commissioner to the island nation Seychelles on April 25, 2019. He is expected to take up the assignment shortly.
- He was the Army Chief from August 1, 2014, to December 31, 2016. He was also part of the Indian Peace Keeping Force (IPKF) in Sri Lanka in 1987.
- The diplomatic ties were established with Seychelles, after its independence, with India in 1976. In 2015, Seychelles agreed to allocate land on Assumption Island for India to build its first naval base in the Indian Ocean region.
- India has also extended a USD 100 million line of credit and decided to gift a Dornier aircraft to Seychelles. There has also been a high-level exchange of visits between both nations.
- According to the estimates of the Ministry of External Affairs, India exported goods worth USD 101.16 million and imported goods worth USD 0.548 million from Seychelles during January to October 2017. In 2017, India stood at 8th position by way of exports to Seychelles.
32. Cyril Almeida named as the IPIs 2019 World Press Freedom Hero
Pakistani journalist Cyril Almeida has been named as the International Press Institute’s 2019 World Press Freedom Hero. He is known for his courageous and hard-hitting coverage of civil-military tensions in the South Asian country.
- Almeida was awarded for his tenacious coverage of the Pakistani state’s patronage of militant groups.
- The Pakistani journalist has been at the center of a marked increase in attacks on media freedom in Pakistan, facing treason charges, travel restrictions and other forms of intimidation for his reporting on tensions between Pakistan’s military and its civilian leaders.
33. Sri Lankan President bans On Face-Covering in Public
Sri Lankan President Maithripala Sirisena used his emergency powers to issue an order to ban burqa, veil or covering of the face in public places.
- The order which came into immediate effect explicitly defines that any garment or item which obstructs identification of an individual’s face is barred.
- It is placed to ensure national security, establish a peaceful and cohesive society and not aimed at inconvenience to any community people.
- The decision was taken in aftermath of Easter Sunday blasts which took place across eight locations, including three prominent churches.
- The ban aims to help stabilize the security situation, some Muslim organizations came forward and suggested a ban on the burqa.
34. President Sirisena appointed General S.H.S Kottegoda as the Defence Secretary
President Maithripala Sirisena on 29th April appointed General S.H.S Kottegoda, a former Army commander, to the post of Defence Secretary. He replaces Hemasiri Fernando who resigned from the post after the Easter blasts that killed over 250 people.
- President Sirisena also named Deputy Inspector-General Chandana Wickramaratne as the acting police chief as the incumbent Pujith Jayasundara is currently on compulsory leave. President Sirisena squarely blamed the Defence Secretary and the IGP for failing to pass on the information to him.
- As per Sri Lankan law, the Inspector General of Police (IGP) can be removed from the post only with a parliamentary resolution backed by a majority and based on a subsequent inquiry by a committee.
35. Beirut set a new Guinness World Record
Lebanon’s capital Beirut has set a new Guinness World Record for the number of national flags raised in a city for 24 hours. The Beirut Alive Association in the national capital on 28th April raised a total of 26,852 Lebanese flags breaking New York’s Waterloo record of 25,599 flags.
- The event was organized under the patronage of Prime Minister Saad Hariri, represented by MP Rola Tabsh, at the Nejmeh Square in downtown Beirut in the presence of Economic and Social Council Member Mohammed Al-Jouzou and independent witnesses from “Al-Ittihad Law firms” and various prominent figures.
- After raising the flag that broke the world record, MP Tabsh congratulated the Beirut Alive Association for this remarkable individual and national initiative by excellence, adorning Beirut with thousands of Lebanese flags and entering the Book of Guinness.
1. South Korea won Azlan Shah Cup by defeating India
India has lost to South Korea in the final of Sultan Azlan Shah Hockey tournament at Ipoh in Malaysia.
- South Korea lifted the title, defeating India in a shoot out 4-2.
- Hosts Malaysia defeated Canada 4-2 and secured the 3rd place.
- Asian Games Gold medalist Japan stood at 5th place, defeating Poland 6-1.
About Sultan Azlan Shah Cup:
- Sport: Field hockey
- Founded: 1983
- The tournament is named after the ninth King of Malaysia, Sultan Azlan Shah, an avid fan of field hockey.
- Administrator: Malaysian Hockey Confederation, International Hockey Federation
- No. of teams: 6
- Most titles: Australia (10 titles)
2. Indian Badminton Tournament 2019 was held in New Delhi
The Indian Badminton Tournament 2019 was held at K. D. Jadhav Indoor Hall in New Delhi from 26 to 31 March 2019 and had a total purse of $350,000. India’s Srikanth Kidambi lost to Viktor Axelsen of Denmark 7-21, 20-22 in the men’s singles summit clash.
Champions of Indian Open Badminton 2019:
- Men’s Singles: Viktor Axelsen (Denmark)
- Women’s Singles: Ratchanok Intanon (Thailand)
- Men’s Doubles: Lee Yang and Wang Chi-lin (Chinese Taipei)
- Women’s Doubles: Greysia Polii and Apriyani Rahayu (Indonesia)
- Mixed Doubles: Wang Yilü and Huang Dongping (China)
3. India finish with 16 gold medals at Asian Airgun Championships
Current Affairs: Indian shooters claimed five gold medals on the final day of the Asian Airgun Championships to sign off with a total of 25 medals in Taoyuan, Taipei.
- India finished with 16 gold, five silver, and four bronze medals.
- The next assignment for Indian shooters is scheduled at Al Ain, the United Arab Emirates where the International Shooting Sport Federation Shotgun World Cup stage.
- India finishes with 16 gold medals at Asian Airgun Championships.
4. Saurav Ghosal became first Indian to enter top-10 in men’s PSA rankings
Saurav Ghosal became the first Indian male squash player to enter the top 10 in the PSA (Professional Squash Association) world rankings.
- He has moved up two places to a career-high ranking of the tenth and is currently the only Asian in the top-10.
- Ghosal made it to the quarter-finals of the 2018-2019 PSA World Championships in Chicago, USA for the first time in his career.
- He was also a quarter-finalist at the prestigious Grasshopper Cup in Zurich, Switzerland.
- In the women’s rankings, Joshna Chinappa continued to be the best-ranked Indian, moving up to the 15th position.
- Earlier, Dipika Pallikal had broken into the top-10 in 2012 and once again in 2014.
5. Manu Sawhney took over as ICC Chief Executive with immediate effect
India-born Manu Sawhney, the ex-CEO of Singapore Sports Hub and ex-Managing Director of ESPN Star Sports, has been working alongside the outgoing Chief Executive David Richardson for last six weeks to ensure a smooth transition.
Richardson will remain with the International Cricket Council (ICC) until July to oversee the delivery of the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup 2019.
6. Belgium retained top spot in the latest FIFA world football rankings
Belgium continues to dominate the charts with 1737 points.
- The top three positions are unchanged with World Cup winner France in the second spot ahead of Brazil, in third.
- England rose above Croatia, to reach No 4 this month.
- Indian football team gained two places to rise to 101 in the FIFA rankings.
- England (+1)
- Croatia (-1)
- Uruguay (+1)
- Portugal (-1)
7. Virat Kohli became all-time leading IPL scorer during 49-ball 84
Virat Kohli hit his 35th fifty in the Indian Premier League as Royal Challengers Bangalore sought to bounce back following four successive defeats this season.
- Up against Kolkata Knight Riders, Kohli came out all guns blazing and became the 2nd fastest after Chris Gayle to reach 8000 T20 runs.
- RCB have struggled in the 2019 IPL and Virat Kohli had failed to lead from the front in the first four matches.
- However, back in Bengaluru, Kohli hit top gear against a top bowling attack and blazed away to a 49-ball 84.
- This was Kohli’s first fifty of the season.
- Virat Kohli had smashed 973 runs and 4 hundred as RCB came from nowhere to storm into the final against Sunrisers Hyderabad.
8. ESPN India Multi-Sport Awards 2018 announced. PV Sindhu and Neeraj conferred with Sportsperson of the year award
Olympic silver medallist P.V. Sindhu and star javelin thrower Neeraj Chopra were named as female and male sportsperson of the year in the ESPN India Multi-Sport Awards for their achievements in 2018.
- 2012 London Olympics bronze medallist shuttler Saina Nehwal won the award for the ‘Comeback of the Year’ after bagging the bronze at the 2018 Asian Games.
- ESPN Multi-Sport awards 2018 recognized achievements across 11 categories.
Other Winners of the Award are:
- Coach of the Year – Jaspal Rana (shooting)
- Emerging Sportsperson of the Year – Saurabh Chaudhary (shooting)
- Team of the Year – Women’s team (table tennis)
- Match of the Year – Amit Panghal vs Hasanboy Dusmatov (boxing)
- Differently-abled athlete of the Year – Ekta Bhyan (para-athletics)
- Moment of the Year – Women’s 4x400m relay
- Lifetime Achievement Award – Pradip Kumar Banerjee (football).
- ESPN – Entertainment and Sports Programming Network
- Headquarters: United States
- Founded: 7 September 1979
9. Graham Reid appointed as chief coach of India men’s hockey team
Reid was part of the silver-medal winning Australian team at the 1992 Barcelona Olympics.
- Reid’s appointment till the end of 2020 was ratified after Hockey India received necessary clearance from the Sports Authority of India (SAI).
- India had been without a chief coach since Harendra Singh was sacked after last year’s World Cup
- Reid will be in charge of the team during their next international assignment — tour to Australia in May 2019.
About Hockey India::
- Founded: 2009
- Affiliation: International Hockey Federation (FIH)
- Headquarters: New Delhi, India
- President: Mohammad Mushtaq Ahmed
- India men’s hockey team Captain: Manpreet Singh
- Manager: Arjun Halappa
- FIH ranking: 5 (16 December 2018)
10. Isaak Hayik, 73, set a new record as worlds oldest soccer player
A 73-year-old Israeli Isaak Hayik set a new world record as the world’s oldest person to play in a professional soccer match.
The previous record holder was 53 years old Uruguayan Robert Carmona who was played a professional match in 2015.
- Prime minister: Benjamin Netanyahu
- Capital: Jerusalem
- Currency: Israeli new shekel
- President: Reuven Rivlin
11. Eni Nuraeni named as a Best athletic coach in Asia 2019 by AAA
Eni Nuraeni named as an Indonesian Eni Nuraeni was named by Asian Athletic Association (AAA) as the best athletic coach in Asia for the short-haul run category in 2019. It was announced by the Indonesian athletic sports association (PB PASI).
Eni coaches young sprinter Lalu Muhammad Zohri to win the 100m gold medal in 10.20 seconds in the 2019 Grand Prix Malaysia Open athletics championships. Earlier, Zohri won the 100m in 10.18 in the IAAF World U20 Championships in Tampere, Finland in 2018.
Asian Athletic Association (AAA):
- It is the continental governing body for the sport of athletics in Asia
- It organizes the Asian Championships in Athletics and other continental competitions
- It is headquartered in Singapore
- The current president Qatari Dahlan Jumaan al-Hamad, who was elected to the position in 2013
- Suresh Kalmadi of India was the president from 2000 to 2013Best athletic coach in Asia 2019 by AAA
12. Murali Kartik named as the new brand ambassador of Fantasy 11
Funtasy11, a fantasy sports platform, has roped in former Indian cricketer Murali Kartik as its brand ambassador.
- Fantasy Gaming Space is rapidly growing and is expected to reach 100 million users by 2020.
- Karthik was the ‘Official Fan Management Partner’ for the recently conducted Premier Badminton league.
Before Karthik, the appointment of brand ambassadors made by famous online gaming industries are listed below:
- Dream 11 – MS Dhoni
- CricPlay – Gautam Gambhir
- HalaPlay – Hardik Pandya and his brother Krunal
- Fountain – Suresh Raina
- Fanmojo – Prithvi Shaw
13. Crying Girl photo by John Moore won the World Press Photo of the Year Award
Veteran Getty Images photographer John Moore’s photograph of a young girl Yanela Sanchez crying as she and her mother are taken into custody by US border officials in McAllen, Texas, USA, after crossing into the US from Mexico won the World Press Photo of the Year and the first prize in the Spot News, Singles, category.
- He received €10,000 (£8,600) as a prize amount.
- Dutch-Swedish photographer Pieter Ten Hoopen won the “World Press Photo Story of the Year Award” for the image of 2018 mass-migrant caravan to the US border.
- For 62 years, the World Press Photo Foundation has recognized the best contributions to visual journalism by professional photographers through its international World Press Photo Contest.
- This year’s winners were selected from 78,801 images entered by 4,738 photographers worldwide.
14. Pulitzer Prize for the New York Times and Wall Street Journal
The New York Times and The Wall Street Journal were awarded Pulitzer Prizes for their separate investigations of President Donald Trump and his family.
- The Times won the prestigious journalism award for a probe of the Trump family’s finances that debunked his claims of self-made wealth and revealed a business empire riddled with tax dodges.
- The Associated Press won a Pulitzer for international reporting for its coverage of the war in Yemen. Reuters was honoured for international reporting for its coverage of atrocities committed against Rohingya Muslims in Myanmar.
- Awarded for: Excellence in newspaper journalism, literary achievements, musical composition
- Country: United States
- Presented by: Columbia University
- First awarded: 1917
- The Prize was instituted by provisions in the will of American (Hungarian-born) Joseph Pulitzer who had made his fortune as a newspaper publisher. Currently, it is administered by Columbia University in New York City
- Prizes are awarded yearly in twenty-one categories. In twenty of the categories, each winner receives a certificate and a US$15,000 cash award (raised from $10,000 in 2017)
- The winner in the public service category of the journalism competition is awarded a gold medal
15. Fincare Small Finance Bank won the Celent Model Bank 2019 Award
Fincare Small Finance Bank (SFB)honoured with the prestigious Celent Model Bank 2019 Award in Financial Inclusion category, for ‘Redesigning Lending to Reach Small Businesses’.
- The award recognizes LAP (Loans against Property) D.Lite, which is a tab-based solution designed and developed in-house by Fincare SFB for instant underwriting of loans against property targeted at micro and small enterprises.
- The Award was announced on its 12th anniversary in 2019 and was organized by Celent in New York.
- LAP D.Lite is one of the 22 initiatives from all over the world to receive this award, which featured 140 nominations from 80 institutions from 30 countries.
- The other banks to receive the award in other categories were Bank of America, CIBC, Fidor Bank, HSBC, Rabobank, and Santander.
- The award is for best practices of technology usage in different areas critical to success in banking.
16. FIFA ban former Brazilian football president Jose Maria Marin for life
Former Brazilian Football Confederation (CBF) president Jose Maria Marin has been banned for life from all football activities by FIFA.
- In August 2018, Marin who led Brazil’s organizing committee for the 2014 World Cup, was sentenced to four years in prison for racketeering, money laundering, and wire fraud. He became the first person to be imprisoned as the result of the US investigation into corruption at world football’s governing body.
- Earlier Marin was arrested at a luxury Zurich hotel in May 2015. During US investigation, he was found to have taken bribes in exchange for the media and marketing rights to various tournaments which also include the Copa America.
17. Mithali Raj named goodwill ambassador of Team India at the Street Child Cricket World Cup
Indian women’s cricket team captain Mithali Raj has been named the goodwill ambassador of Team India at the Street Child Cricket World Cup (SCCWC).
- She, alongside Saurav Ganguly and Rajasthan Royals, joins in supporting the team as they gear up for the final match at Lords, just ahead of the ICC Cricket World Cup in May this year.
- India has over 20 lakh street connected children.
About Street Child Cricket World Cup 2019:
- The Street Child Cricket World Cup 2019 is the first cricket world cup for street-connected children.
- The tournament is being organized by Street Child United (SCU), a UK based organization, which has a legacy of holding street child tournaments around major sporting festivals like FIFA World Cup in South Africa, Olympics in Brazil, FIFA World Cup Russia and more.
18. Manu Bhaker, Saurabh Chaudhary won Gold in Shooting World Cup
India’s 16-year-old Saurabh Chaudhary and 17-year-old Manu Bhaker won gold in the 10m Air Pistol mixed team event at the ISSF World Cup 2019 in Beijing.
- Bhaker and Chaudhary outshot Jiang Ranxin and Pang Wei of China 16-6 in the final.
- This is the second consecutive gold for Manu Bhaker and Saurabh Chaudhary at the ISSF World Cup as they had clinched a gold in the same category
- in the New Delhi edition of the shooting World Cup in February this year.
Anjum Moudgil and Divyansh Singh Panwar bagged a gold medal in the 10m Air Rifle Mixed Team event in the same tournament.
19. India bag one gold, two silver medals at Asian Boxing Championships
India bagged one gold and two silver medals at the Asian Boxing Championships in Bangkok.
- Boxer Amit Panghal picked up his second successive gold medal of the year, claiming the top honors in the 52-kilogram category.
- Panghal defeated Korea’s Kim Inkyu Korea.
- National champion Deepak Singh and Kavinder Singh Bisht in 56 kg category signed off with silver medals after close losses.
- Deepak lost to Mirzahmedov of Uzbekistan while Bisht was also defeated by an Uzbek.
20. Abhishek Verma won gold in 10m Air Pistol at ISSF World Cup
Abhishek Verma won the 10m air pistol gold medal at the International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF) World Cup at Beijing, China. He clinched the top spot with a total score of 242.7. Russia’s Artem Chernousov took silver. His brilliant performance in the Shooting World Cup Final also secured a fifth Olympic quota for India.
International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF)
- Founded on 1907
- Sport: Shooting sport
- Headquarters: Munich, Germany.
- Membership: 150 regions
- President: Vladimir Lisin
- ISSF is the governing body of the Olympic Shooting events in Rifle, Pistol and Shotgun disciplines, and of several non-Olympic Shooting sport events
21. AIFF appointed Doru Isac as the technical director
All India Football Federation (AIFF) appointed Romanian Doru Isac as the technical director of for a three-year tenure. The 56-year-old Isac was one of the three candidates interviewed by the AIFF’s technical committee, headed by Thapa. The technical committee had sent its recommendations to the executive committee of the AIFF to take a final decision.
- Gaioz Darsadze of Georgia and Jorge Castelo of Portugal were the other two candidates interviewed by the technical committee. The post of technical director remained vacant since Australian Scott O’Donnell decided to quit in 2017.
- Former India player and coach Savio Medeira was looking after the post as interim TD since then.
22. Eliud Kipchoge won the London Marathon 2019 title
Kenyan Eliud Kipchoge clinched his fourth London Marathon 2019 crown on 28th April at London, UK. Kipchoge strode clear of the field to win with the second fastest-ever time of 2:02:37. He set the world record time of2:01.39s at Berlin in 2018.
In the women’s section, Brigid Kosgei won the title. She finished the course in 2:18:20. She defeated Vivian Cheruiyot and Roza Dereje.
- Eliud Kipchoge (Ken) 2:02.37s
- Mosinet Geremew (Eth) 2:02:55
- Mule Wasihun (Eth) 2:03:16
- Brigid Kosgei (Ken) 2:18:20
- Vivian Cheruiyot (Ken) 2:20:14
- Roza Dereje (Eth) 2:20:51
1. Odisha celebrated the 84th foundation day on April 1, 2019
The day is also known as ‘Utkal Divas.’
Odisha was the first State to be formed on linguistic basis in 1936. Earlier, Odisha was part of Bihar.
- Capital: Bhubaneshwar
- Governor: Ganeshi Lal
- Chief Minister: Naveen Patnaik
- National Parks: Similipal NP, Bhitarkanika NP
- Famous Dances: Odissi (Classical), Munari, Chhau, Ghumara
2. National Maritime Day is celebrated on April 5 in India
National Maritime Day in India is celebrated on April 5 every year. The day is being observed since1964. Hundred years ago, on this day in 1919, navigation history was created when SS Loyalty, the first ship of The Scindia Steam Navigation Company Ltd traveled to the United Kingdom from Mumbai. It was a crucial step for India shipping history when sea routes were controlled by the British. It marked a red letter day in the maritime history of India.
- This day is celebrated to spread awareness in supporting intercontinental commerce and the global economy. The theme of the 56th edition of the National Maritime Day is “Indian Ocean-An Ocean of opportunity”.
- National Maritime Day 2019 awards, the Varuna Award, will also be given for outstanding contribution to Indian Maritime Sector.
3. UN observed International Day for Mine Awareness on 4th April
On 8 December 2005, the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) declared that 4 April of each year shall be observed as the International Day for Mine Awareness and Assistance in Mine Action.
The theme for 2019 is “United Nations Promotes SDGs – Safe Ground – Safe Home”.
United Nations Mine Action Service (UNMAS) has been working to:
- meet the needs of the affected people and tailored to the threat of explosive hazards faced by civilians, peacekeepers, and humanitarians
- save lives
- facilitate deployment of UN missions and the delivery of humanitarian assistance
- protect civilians
- support the voluntary return of the internally displaced and refugees
- enable humanitarian and recovery activities
- advocate for international humanitarian and human rights law
United Nations Mine Action Service (UNMAS):
- Formation: October 1997
- Headquarters: New York, USA
- Director of UNMAS: Agnes Marcaillou
4. Rajasthan Day was celebrated on 30th March
Rajasthan Day is celebrated every year on March 30 to commemorate the day on which the state of Rajasthan came into existence. Rajasthan, earlier known as Rajputana, came into existence on March 30, 1949. Rajasthan Day commemorates the valor, strong will power and sacrifice of the people of Rajasthan.
- Before Independence, Rajasthan was comprised of around 21 small and big princely states. The princely states were annexed to the union of India on 15th August 1947 but their unification could be accomplished only later. Rajasthan Union came into existence by the union of states namely Banswara, Bundi, Dungarpur, Jhalawar, Kishangarh, Pratapgarh, Shahpura, Tonk, and Kota on 25th March 1948. The United State of Rajasthan was inaugurated by Pt. Jawaharlal Nehru on 18th April 1948.
- The Greater Rajasthan States like Bikaner, Jaisalmer, Jaipur, and Jodhpur got merged and formed Greater Rajasthan on 30th March 1949 which was inaugurated by Sardar Vallabh Bhai Patel. Later Rajasthan was further reorganized by the merger of Matsya Union on May 15th, 1949, Sirohi joined Rajasthan on January 26th, 1950 and annexation of Ajmer-Merwara region in November 1956. Later Madhya Pradesh’s Bhanpura tehsil and Abu of Gujarat also merged with Rajasthan.
5. Japan names new imperial era, set to begin on May 1, as ‘Reiwa’
‘Reiwa’ will be the name for the new era when Prince Naruhitosucceeds his father Emperor Akihito, whose abdication on April 30 will end the 31-year ‘Heisei’ era (Since 1989).
- While ‘Rei’ means “good” and “beautiful” as well as “order” or “command”, ‘Wa’ means “peace” or “harmony”.
- Japan imported the imperial calendar system from China about 1,300 years ago.
Starting with the Meiji era (1868-1912), it adopted the practice of “one emperor, one era name.”
- Emperor: Akihito
- Prime Minister: Shinzō Abe
- Capital: Tokyo
- Currency: Japanese Yen
6. World Autism Awareness Day is observed on 2nd April
World Autism Awareness Day is an internationally recognized day observed on 2nd April every year. The aim is to encourage member states of the United Nations to take measures to raise awareness about people with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) throughout the world. The theme for 2019 is “Assistive Technologies, Active Participation”.
- It was designated by the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA). World Autism Awareness Day was passed in council on 1 November 2007 and adopted on 18 December 2007. It was proposed by the United Nations representative from Qatar, Her Highness Sheikha Mozah Bint Nasser Al-Missned, Consort of His Highness Sheikh Hamad Bin Khalifa Al-Thani, the Emir of the State of Qatar, and supported by all member states.
World Autism Day is one of only seven official health-specific UN Days.
- The day itself brings individual autism organizations together all around the world to aid in things like research, diagnoses, treatment, and overall acceptance for those affected by this developmental disorder.
7. World Health Day observed on 7th April
World Health Assembly decided to celebrate 7 April of each year as the World Health Day, with effect from 1950.
- World Health Day is one of eight official global health campaigns marked by WHO, along with World Tuberculosis Day, World Immunization Week, World Malaria Day, World No Tobacco Day, World AIDS Day, World Blood Donor Day, and World Hepatitis Day.
- The theme of World Health Day 2019 is Universal health coverage: everyone, everywhere.
8. National Safe Motherhood Day is celebrated on April 11
National Safe Motherhood Day (NSMD) is observed annually on 11 April to raise awareness about the proper healthcare of women and maternity facilities to pregnant and lactating women.
- The theme of 2019 NSMD is “Midwives for Mothers”.
- Last year’s NSMD theme was ‘Respectful Maternity Care’.
- This day also raises awareness for the prevention of child marriages, that may be an indirect cause of maternal deaths.
About National Safe Motherhood Day (NSMD):
- This day is an initiative of the White Ribbon Alliance India (WRAI) to provide women with various healthcare programs during pregnancy, childbirth and post-natal services.
- This day is first celebrated in 2003.
- 11 April is the anniversary day of Kasturba Gandhi’s birth.
Facts about Maternal Mortality according to WHO:
- Approximately 830 women die every day from preventable causes related to pregnancy and childbirth.
- In developing countries, 99% of maternal deaths occur.
9. World Haemophilia Day observed on April 17
World Haemophilia Day was started in 1989 by the World Federation of Hemophilia (WFH) which chose to bring the community together on April 17 in honour of WFH founder Frank Schnabel’s birthday.
- April 17, 2019, marks the 30th World Hemophilia Day
- World Hemophilia Day theme for the year 2019 is ‘Outreach and Identification’.
- It will be observed with the slogan – ‘Reaching Out: The First Step to Care’.
Haemophilia is a condition in which bleeding is prolonged.
- A protein in the blood, causes the blood to clot and stops the bleeding. However, haemophiliacs (people with hemophilia) have lower levels of clotting factor in the blood and bleeding continues for much longer periods.
- According to the World Federation of Hemophilia, about 1 in every 1000 person has a bleeding disorder; many are left untreated.
India with nearly two lakh cases is estimated to have the second highest number of patients with haemophilia.
10. World Heritage Day observed on 18th April
World Heritage Day is also known as International Day for Monuments and Sites is an annual event celebrated on 18 April every year. In 2019, the theme is Rural Landscapes.
The day was proposed by the International Council on Monuments and Sites (ICOMOS) on 18 April 1982 and approved by the General Assembly of UNESCO in 1983.
Aim of the Day:
To emphasize the importance of safeguarding various sites around the world that have achieved world heritage status and the challenges involved in protecting these sites.
UNESCO World Heritage Sites:
Today, there are a grand total of 1,092 UNESCO World Heritage Sites worldwide, of which 845 are cultural, 209 are natural and 38 are a mixture.
55 of these are in danger, including the birthplace of Jesus, Church of the Nativity and Pilgrimage Route in Bethlehem.
Top 5 UNESCO World Heritage Sites in India:
- Taj Mahal, Agra
- Qutub Minar, New Delhi
- Sun Temple, Odisha
- Monuments of Khajuraho, Madhya Pradesh
- Mahabodhi Temple, Bihar
11. April 19 is observed as World Liver Day
The World Liver Day (WLD) is observed every year on April 19 to build awareness and understanding the importance of liver in the human body and how liver ailments are treated.
- As per World Health Organisation (WHO), liver diseases are a 10thmost common cause of death in India.
- The liver, which measures about 1,00 grams in weight and 15 cm in length, is the second largest organ and is a key player in our body’s digestive system.
- It is responsible for the synthesis of various proteins, coagulation factors, cholesterol, triglycerides and bile including glycogenesis.
- It is also responsible for detoxifications of drugs, alcohol, and control of infections.
12. World Earth Day observed on April 22
On 22nd April 2009, the United Nations General Assembly adopted a resolution declaring 22nd April as the “International Mother Earth Day”.
The term ‘Mother Earth’ implies the interdependent relationship which exists between all the species of planet earth and to acknowledge earth’s role in sustaining them all.
- World Earth Day 2019 theme is ‘Protect Our Species’. It will mainly focus on saving species which are on the verge of extinction due to climate change, deforestation, pollution, and illegal poaching.
- The founder of the Earth Day was Gaylord Nelson.
- In 2005 the United Nations General Assembly declared 2008 as the “International Year of Planet Earth”. The day was adopted with a view to promoting the education of earth sciences, acknowledging its importance in the sustainable use of natural resources as well as for sustainable development.
13. India observes National Panchayati Raj Day on 24th April
The National Panchayati Raj Day is celebrated every year in India on 24th April. The Constitution of India recognizes Panchayats as ‘Institutions of self-government’.This day marks the passing of Constitution (73rd Amendment) Act, 1992 that came into force with effect from 24 April 1993. The Amendment Act permits states to take steps to organize village panchayats and provide them with necessary powers and authority necessary to facilitate them to function as units of self-government.
National Panchayati Raj Day:
The first National Panchayati Raj Day was celebrated in 2010. The enactment of the 73rd Amendment Act had led a defining moment in the history of India which helped in the decentralization of political power to the grassroots level. In turn, it had led to the institutionalization of Panchayati Raj (PR) through the village, Intermediate and District level Panchayats.
14. World Malaria Day observed on April 25
World Malaria Day is an international event observed every year on 25 April, to spread awareness about malaria disease globally and to promote efforts to prevent malaria around the world.
World Malaria Day 2019 Theme:
The theme of World Malaria Day 2019 is “Zero malaria starts with me.”
World Malaria Day – History:
- World Malaria Day was developed from Africa Malaria Day which was first held in 2008. It is basically an event that had been observed since 2001 by African governments.
- At the 60th session of the World Health Assembly, a meeting sponsored by the World Health Organisation (WHO) in 2007 proposed that Africa Malaria Day be changed to World Malaria Day to identify the existence of malaria in the countries worldwide and to bring awareness among people globally to fight against malaria disease.
15. World Veterinary Day 2019 is observed on 28th April
The World Veterinary Day 2019 is observed on 28th April. It is an opportunity to celebrate the contributions of veterinarians to the health of animals and society. The theme for the day is the Value of Vaccination. The day is initiated by the World Veterinary Association.
- The World Veterinary Association (WVA) will co-host the 2019 World Veterinary Day Award with HealthforAnimals, the global animal medicines association. The value of the award has been increased to $2500.
- WVA and health for animals believe it is essential for the global veterinary profession to educate the public, particularly animal owners and producers, about the benefits of vaccination for the animal, human, and public health.
16. UN observed World Day for Safety and Health at Work day on 28th April
World Day for Safety and Health at Work is a UN international day that is celebrated every April 28. It is an annual international campaign to promote safe, healthy and decent work. It has been observed by the International Labour Organization (ILO) since 2003.
- It is concerned about safe work and awareness of the dimensions and consequences of work-related accidents and diseases; to place occupational safety and health (OSH) on the international and national agendas, and to provide support to the national efforts for the improvement of national OSH systems and programmes in line with relevant international labor standards.
- Inspired by the ILO centenary and discussions on the future of work, the world day this year attempts to take stock of a 100 years of work in improving occupational safety and health and looks to the future for continuing these efforts through major changes such as technology, demographics, sustainable development including climate change and changes in work organization.
- A national occupational safety and health culture is one in which the right to a safe and healthy working environment is respected at all levels, where governments, employers, and workers actively participate in securing a safe and healthy working environment through a system of defined rights, responsibilities and duties, and where the highest priority is accorded to the principle of prevention.
17. International Dance Day is observed on 29th April
International Dance Day is observed globally on the 29th of April. In 1982.
- The Dance Committee of ITI founded International Dance Day to be celebrated the birthday of Jean-Georges Noverre, creator of modern ballet.
- The intention of the International Dance Day Message is to celebrate dance, revel in the universality of this art form, cross all political, cultural and ethnic barriers, and bring people together with a common language dance.
1. Roger Federer won Miami Open 2019 title
Switzerland’s Roger Federer defeats USA’s John Isner in straight sets to lift his 101st career title at the Miami Open 2019.
- Federer is now behind only America’sJimmy Connors with 109 career singles titles.
- Roger Federer has lifted his fourth title at the Miami Open. It is Swiss player’s 28th Masters’ title and the 101st overall for a player who has won 20 Grand Slam singles titles.
Winners of Miami Open 2019:
- Women’s doubles: Belgium Elise Mertens, Belarus Aryna Sabalenka
- Women’s singles: Australia Ashleigh Barty
- Men’s doubles: United States Bob Bryan, United States Mike Bryan
- Men’s singles: Switzerland Roger Federer
2. Lewis Hamilton won Bahrain Grand Prix 2019
Lewis Hamilton won Bahrain Grand Prix 2019 title.
- He defeated Valtteri Bottas of Finland who secured the second position.
- Charles Leclerc was finished with the third position and becoming Ferrari’s youngest ever race winner at the age of 21.
About Bahrain Grand Prix 2019
- The first race took place at the Bahrain International Circuit on 4 April 2004.
- Number of times held: 15
- First held:2004
- Most wins (drivers): Germany Sebastian Vettel
- Most wins (constructors): Italy Ferrari
3. PM Modi awarded UAE’s highest civilian honor Zayed medal
President of the UAE Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyanhonoured Prime Minister Narendra Modi with the prestigious Zayed Medal for boosting relations between the Emirates and India.
- The ‘Order of Zayed’ is the highest civil decoration instituted by the UAE. It consists of a collar cantered by a medallion bearing the name ‘Zayed’ – the founding father of the United Arab Emirates (UAE).
- In the past, this award has been conferred to Russian President Vladimir Putin, then US President George W Bush, German Chancellor Angela Merkel, Chinese President Xi Jinping, and the UK’s Queen Elizabeth II.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has visited UAE twice in three years.
- The Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi also visited India in 2017.
- Capital: Abu Dhabi
- Currency: Dirham
4. Vikram Patel received the John Dirks Canada Gairdner Global Health Award
Vikram Patel, a psychiatrist, and professor of global health at Harvard Medical School, has won the prestigious John Dirks Canada Gairdner Global Health Award.
- Mr.Patel has led research generating knowledge on the burden and determinants of mental health problems in low and middle-income countries and pioneered approaches which utilize community resources for the prevention and treatment of mental health problems in India with global impact. Laureates received a $100,000 cash honorarium and will be formally presented with their awards on October 24, 2019, at the annual Canada Gairdner Awards Gala in Toronto.
Canada Gairdner Global Health Award:
- The John Dirks Canada Gairdner Global Health Award recognizes the world’s top scientists who have made outstanding achievements in Global Health Research. Since its inception, the Global Health Award has grown significantly to become one of the world’s most prestigious awards recognizing excellence in global health research.
5. Dr. Sohini Sastri honoured with D. Litt by National American University
Indian Astrologer Dr. Sohini Sastri has been honoured with ‘D. Litt in Astrology’ by National American University, USA.
- Dr. Sohini Sastri is one of the most trusted names in Astrology and is known for her services over the years.
- She is also a receipt of ‘Champions of Change Award’ which was given to her by Honourable Vice-President of India, M. Venkaiah Naidu at Vigyan Bhawan, Delhi recently.
- Other prominent personalities who were also awarded Doctorates at the same event includes Bollywood singer Mohit Chauhan and choreographer Terence Lewis.
6. Tata Steel won ‘Global Slag Company of the Year’ award
The award has been presented to Tata Steel for its innovative practices in the development of new applications for Steel by-products (Slag).
- The award was given at the 14th Global Slag Conference and Exhibition 2019, held recently in Aachen, Germany.
- The conference is one of the largest global annual slag event, attended by major steelmakers, steel mill service providers & associated companies.
About Tata Steel:
- Formerly called: Tata Iron and Steel Company Limited
- It is a subsidiary of the Tata Group and is an Indian multinational steel-making company.
- Founded: 25 August 1907, Jamshedpur
- Headquarters: Mumbai
- Founder: Jamsetji Tata
7. Presidents Certificate of Honour and Maharshi Badrayan Vyas Samman Awards Conferred
Vice President Venkaiah Naidu conferred President’s Certificate of Honour and Maharshi Badrayan Vyas Samman Awards at New Delhi.
- The award of the Certificate of Honour was introduced in the year 1958 to honor the scholars of Sanskrit, Arabic and Persian Languages.
- Maharshi Badrayan Vyas Samman Distinction is conferred on persons in recognition of their substantial contribution in the field of Sanskrit, Persian, Arabic, Pali, Prakrit, Classical Odiya, Classical Kannada, Classical Telugu, and Classical Malayalam.
8. AIMA Managing India Awards 2019 to Azim Premji, Mahendra Mohan Gupta, and 9 others
The All India Management Association (AIMA) Managing India Awards 2019 was held on April 08, 2019 at Hotel Taj Palace, New Delhi.
Mahendra Mohan Gupta, Chairman & Managing Director, Jagran Prakashan Ltd and Editorial Director, Dainik Jagran, was awarded under Lifetime Contribution to Media category.
Complete Winners List:
- Lifetime Contribution Award: Azim H Premji (Chairman, Wipro Ltd)
- Outstanding Institution Builder: Prathap C Reddy (Founder-Chairman, Apollo Hospitals Group)
- Corporate Citizen Award: Devi Prasad Shetty (Founder & Chairman Narayana Hrudalaya)
- Entrepreneur of the year: Sanjiv Bajaj (Managing Director, Bajaj Finserv Ltd)
- Business Leader of the Year: Sanjiv Mehta (Chairman & Managing Director, Hindustan Unilever Ltd)
- Lifetime Contribution to Media: Mahendra Mohan Gupta (Chairman & Managing Director, Jagran Prakashan Ltd and Editorial Director, Dainik Jagran)
- Outstanding Contribution to Media: Uday Shankar (President, 21st Century Fox, Asia and Chairman and CEO, Star India)
- Indian MNC of the Year: Pawan Goenka (Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd, Managing Director and Member of the Group Executive Board)
- MNC in India of the Year: T Krishnakumar (Coca-Cola India, President & CEO, India & Southwest Asia)
- Outstanding PSU of the Year: Sanjiv Singh (Chairman, Indian Oil Corporation Ltd)
- Director of the Year: Rajkumar Hirani (Director, Producer, Writer & Editor – Sanju Movie)
About AIMA Managing India Awards 2019:
- It is one of the most prestigious leadership honors in the country.
- Established in: 2010
- Prime objective: To recognize achievers i.e. leading icons from the Indian industry, media, sport and entertainment
9. Spain Garbine Muguruza claimed Monterrey Open title
Garbine Muguruza of Spain successfully claimed back-to-back Monterrey Open title 2019 as Victoria Azarenka succumbed to injury in the final.
- Asia Muhammad & Maria Sanchez claimed women’s doubles title in Monterrey Open.
- The Monterrey Open is a professional women’s tennis tournament played on outdoor hard courts.
About Monterrey Open title
- Founded: 2009
- Location: Monterrey, Nuevo León Mexico
- Category: International
10. Dost Education won the Next Billion Edtech Prize
India’s education technology startup ‘Dost Education’ has bagged a$25,000 Next Billion Edtech Prize 2019. Two other startups, Ubongo (Tanzania) and PraxiLabs (Egypt), also won the award.
Dost Education was awarded for its ability to empower parents to take charge of their child’s early education by creating short, friendly audio content that is sent to them via their mobile phones. Because of this app, low-income families need no longer send their children to primary school behind and without a chance to catch up.
Next Billion Edtech Prize 2019:
- Next Billion Edtech Prize 2019 is awarded by the UK-based Varkey Foundation
- The award recognizes the most innovative technology destined to have a radical impact on education in low income and emerging world countries
- The award also highlights technologies potential to tackle the problems that have proven too difficult for successive generations of politicians to solve
11. Namami Gange got Public Water Agency of the Year award at Global Water Summit
India’s flagship programme, National Mission for Clean Ganga(NMCG) or Namami Gange was felicitated with ‘Public Water Agency of the Year’ award by Global Water Intelligence at the Global Water Summit in London.
Namami Gange Mission:
- The Namami Gange programme is an integrated mission for Ganga rejuvenation, and approved by the Union Government in June 2014 with a budget outlay of Rs.20,000 Crore.
- The Namami Gange Mission aims to provide comprehensive and sustainable solutions for major pollution hot spots along the stretch of 97 towns and 4,465 villages on the Ganga stem.
- Kanpur has been the hotspot of major pollution on the Ganga stem.
- In Namami Gange programme, a total of 289 projects have so far been sanctioned at a cost of Rs 28,377 crore out of which 87 projects have been completed.
Global Water Summit:
- Global Water Summit is the major business conference for the water industry worldwide.
- Global Water Awards recognize excellence across the entire international water industry and reward those initiatives in the water, wastewater, and desalination sectors which bring remarkable improvements in the lives of people.
12. Two schemes of West Bengal won WSIS awards
Two schemes, Utkarsh Bangla and Sabooj Sathi, of the West Bengal government for skill development and distribution of bicycles to students have won the prestigious World Summit on the Information Society (WSIS) awards of the United Nations.
The announcement was made by Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee.
Utkarsh Bangla Scheme:
- The scheme is to give vocational training to school dropouts by providing training ranging from 400 to 1200 hours free of charge.
- Under this scheme, beneficiaries will be trained in driving, tailoring, repairing television and other electronic equipment’s, beautician courses, etc.
13. Alice G. Vaidyan awarded the Freedom of the City of London
Alice G. Vaidyan, Chairman and Managing Director of the General Insurance Corporation (GIC) of India, India’s reinsurance major awarded the Freedom of the City of London in recognition of her work to promote insurance ties between India and the UK.
- Alice G. Vaidyan holds post graduate degree in English literature trained at Harvard Business School, Boston, USA.
- She is a Fellow of the Insurance Institute of India.
- Alice G. Vaidyan was the first lady officer to assume the post of Chairman-cum-Managing Director of General Insurance Corporation of India.
- She was also the first lady chairman cum managing director of General Insurance Corporation of India.
- Freedom of the City is an honour bestowed by a City of London Corporation upon a valued member of the community, or upon a visiting celebrity or dignitary.
14. Russia honors PM Narendra Modi with its highest civilian award
Prime Minister Narendra Modi honoured with Russia’s highest state decoration, the Order of St Andrew the Apostle.
The award has been given to PM Modi for “exceptional services in promoting a special and privileged strategic partnership between the Russian Federation and the Republic of India and friendly relations between the Russian and Indian peoples.
- This is the seventh award conferred on PM Modi by a foreign country.
- The award was established at the end of the 17th century by Tsar Peter I in honour of Apostle Andrew the First-Called.
- The award has been given to only 18 people, including weapons designer Mikhail Kalashnikov; writers Alexander Solzhenitsyn, Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia Alexy II; doctors Valery Shumakov and Boris Petrovsky; singers Lyudmila Zykina and Irina Arkhipova; choreographer Yuri Grigorovich; and former Soviet president Mikhail Gorbachev.
15. Deepa Malik honoured with New Zealand Prime Ministers Sir Edmund Hillary Fellowship for 2019
Rio Paralympics silver medallist Deepa Malik was named as the recipient of the New Zealand Prime Minister’s Sir Edmund Hillary Fellowship for 2019 in recognition of her “inspiring achievements“.
- She became the first Indian woman to win a medal at the Paralympic Games when she bagged a silver in shot put F 53 at the Rio Paralympics in 2016, scoring her personal best of 4.61m.
- She will work to promote sporting, cultural as a well people-to-people relationship between India and New Zealand.
- The fellowship, awarded by Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern, aims to strengthen the ties between India and New Zealand.
Deepa Malik is the only Indian woman to have won medals in three consecutive Asian Para Games in 2010, 2014 and 2018.
- Her tally of laurels stands at 58 national and 23 international medals.
- She is also the recipient of India’s civilian honour Padma Shri and the prestigious Arjuna Award for excellence in sports.
16. Meena Kumari bagged gold at the 2019 Boxing World Cup
Meena Kumari Maisnam from Manipur claimed the Gold medal in the 54 kg category at the Boxing World Cup at Cologne in Germany.
- She defeated Thailand’s Machai Bunyanut in the final. Meena was the 2014 Asian Championships bronze medallist.
- India bagged a Gold, two Silver and two bronze medals at the Boxing World Cup. Sakshi won Silver in 57 kg Category and Pwilao Basumatary in 64 kg category. Pinki Rani won bronze in 51 kgs and Parveen won bronze in 60 kgs category.
Cologne Boxing World Cup:
- Cologne Boxing World Cup is earlier known as Chemistry Cup
- It witnessed participation from more than 20 nations and 160 boxers in seven women and ten men weight classes
- It is one of the strongest international events in Europe with nearly 50 years of traditions
- The first edition was held in 1970
17. Digital Sukoon founder, Sudhanshu Kumar received Best Digital Agency award
Digital Sukoon founder, Sudhanshu Kumar was honoured with the Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Nobel Award by International Human Rights Council at Hotel Sea Princess Juhu Mumbai.
- Among the awardee, Digital Sukoon was the Best Digital Agency of the Year 2019 to receive the award.
- Yogesh Lakhani of Bright Outdoor Media, Actor Johnny Lever, Jasleen Matharu also received awards in various other categories.
18. Cipla chairman Hamied receives UK Royal Society honour
Prominent scientist and businessman Yusuf Hamied is among a host of Indian-origin experts honoured in the 2019 list of new fellows of the UK’s Royal Society. He is known for his effort to produce low-cost drugs to treat diabetes, cancer and other diseases.
- The Royal Society is an independent scientific academy of the UK and the Commonwealth, dedicated to promoting excellence in science.
- His honorary fellowship of the world’s oldest scientific academy came alongside 51 new fellows and 10 new foreign members as part of the 2019 cohort.
Other Indian scientists elected fellows were Gurdyal Besra, Manjul Bhargava, Anant Parekh, Akshay Venkatesh, Gagandeep Kang who has become the first Indian woman scientist to be selected as a fellow of the UK’s Royal Society.
19. Malayalam film Bhayanakam won best cinematography at 2019 Beijing International Film Festival
Malayalam film Bhayanakam (Fear) directed by Jayaraj won the best cinematography award at the Beijing International Film Festival.
- The cinematography was done by Nikhil S Praveen.
- The film had also won the best cinematography award at the 65thNational Film Awards.
- The film portrays the visits of first World War veteran to a small village in the backwaters of Kerala’s Kuttanad as a postman during the World War-II. He shares with the families the good and bad news of the soldiers who took part in the war.
20. KAU IPR Cell Won The National IP Award 2019
Intellectual Property Rights Cell (IPR Cell) of Kerala Agricultural University (KAU) The award comprises of INR 1 lakh, citation, and memento.
About World IP Day
- World IP Day is observed on April 26.
- The award constituted by the Indian Intellectual Property Office under the Union Ministry of Industry and Commerce
- It is conferred on persons and organizations working in the field of patents, trademarks, and Geographical Indications.
21. Swacchta Pakhwada Awards 2019 awarded to All India Radio
All India Radio, Publication Division and Children’s Film Society of India were given Swacchta Pakhwada Awards-2019 in New Delhi.
Secretary in the Information and Broadcasting Ministry Amit Khare gave away the awards.
- Director General of All India Radio F. Sheheryar and Director General (News) Ms. Ira Joshi received the Award for All India Radio.
- Press Council of India, Press Information Bureau, and BECIL were also mentioned during the award ceremony for their efforts during the Swacchta Pakhwada.
22. Benny Antony won National Intellectual Property Award
Benny Antony, Joint Managing Director, the Kochi-based Arjuna Natural Ltd, has been conferred with the National Intellectual Property Award for 2019 in the category of Top Individual for Patents and Commercialization.
- He is the inventor of BCM-95, the world’s leading patented turmeric extract formulation, with over 80 international patents to his credit.
- Antony was also conferred with the ‘WIPO Medal for Inventors’ jointly by Intellectual Property Office India and the World Intellectual Property Organisation (WIPO).
23. Rana Dasgupta received the 2019 Rabindranath Tagore Literary Prize
Author Rana Dasgupta was awarded the Rabindranath Tagore Literary Prize 2019 for his 2010 novel Solo which is a tale of estrangement and the ultimate failure of material existence. It is the second edition of the Rabindranath Tagore Literary Prize. The Prize aims to revive poetry and books that can change lives. The prize consists of an amount of $10,000, a Tagore statue and a certificate for contribution to literature will be given to the awardee.
- Yohei Sasakawa, the World Health Organization Goodwill Ambassador for Leprosy Elimination was awarded for the category of social achievement. He was recognized for his incredible efforts to uproot leprosy and great contribution to world peace.
- Taiwan President Tsai Ing-wen was awarded as a beacon of democracy.
1. SEBI agrees to approve Airport Specific Fund worth Rs. 10,000 crore
SEBI (Securities and Exchange Board of India) approved an ‘airport’ specific fund.
- The name of the fund is ‘Taking Off To the Future Airport Fund’. It can raise a capital amounting to 1.5$bn (Rs. 10,000 crores).
- The ‘Sponsor and Investment Manager’ of the fund is based in Chennai and is termed as ‘Taking Off To The Future Investment Management LLP’.
- Gigi George leads the management and operation of ‘Sponsor and Investment Manager’
- A minimum capital contribution of Rs. 3500 crore and a maximum of Rs. 7000 crore is targeted by the fund.
- The regulator for the securities market in India is the Securities and Exchange Board of India(SEBI)(established in 1988).
- On 12th May 1992, it became an autonomous body by the Government of India.
- Through the SEBI Act, 1992, SEBI was given statutory powers on 30 January 1992.
- On 10th January 2017, Ajay Tyagi was appointed as the chairman of SEBI by replacing U.K. Sinha.
2. HDFC Bank to raise up to Rs.50,000 crore by issuing bonds
Private lender HDFC Bank said it is planning to raise up to Rs.50,000 crore this fiscal by issuing bonds on private placement basis.
It will raise funds by issuing perpetual debt instruments [part of additional tier I capital], tier II capital bonds and long-term bonds [financing of infrastructure and affordable housing] up to a total amount of Rs.50,000 crore in the period of next 12 months through private placement mode. The bank would consider the proposal on April 20.
3. Exim Bank-funded projects worth USD 267 million in Rwanda
India’s Export-Import Bank (Exim Bank) has provided soft loans of USD 266.60 million to Rwanda for various projects.
The funding, done in three separate tranches to Rwanda, is to support:
- agricultural projects,
- development of special economic zones (SEZs) and
- for a financing road project in the African nation.